My essay – Where is the line between Acrobatic Dance and Gymnastics?
- What is the definition of Acrobatic Dance?
- What is the definition of Gymnastics?
- What are the elements to Acrobatic Dance?
- What are the elements of Gymnastics?
- What are contrasting and similar elements about Acrobatic Dance and Gymnastics?
- Is there a difference in the performance of routines? Stage Presence?
- What differences are there in costume?
- Has time changed these types of performances drastically or were they never too similar and misinterpreted? Why? Why not?
- Has my own gymnastic routine choreography been influenced by acrobatic dance without realising? Would I know the difference? Would judges notice the difference between an Acrobatic dance move and an improvised filler gymnastic movement before a main jump, leap, flick…?
Primary Research –
- My own video records of gymnastics routines that could help me answer the question to no.9
- I have a friend who trained with me for 3 years who continued doing gymnastics but in a different style and also started cheerleading which involves moves like acrobatics.
- My Boss (Gymnastics Coach) I could interview him and see what he thinks the differences and similarities are which could help me answer the questions for no.4&5&6
- I will look up some well known classes and schools that teach gymnastics and acrobatics and email the staff to ask for some more opinions. This is to help answer questions no.7&3&1
- Assess whether I am personally influenced by any major and professional gymnasts and dancers that originated or started with Acrobatic dance.
Secondary Research –
- I will look at articles and documents on the internet that reflect on what I am learning about. This could be for any of the questions above depending on what the article and documents say.
- I will watch YouTube clips online on Gymnastics and Acrobatic Dance routines and compare the two. I think that this will help me identify the differences for myself and give me more of an insight to what I am researching and looking for. This could help for questions no.1,2,3,4,5,6,7&8